Answered By: Jim Kelly
Last Updated: Jun 08, 2018     Views: 20

Accounting students at the University of Northern Iowa have provided free income tax assistance for many years through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program. For more information, contact the UNI Department of Accounting at 319-273-2394.


This news release (2/2/2105) from the College of Business Adminstration provides more details on the program from the 2105 tax season:

Accounting students at the University of Northern Iowa are providing free income tax assistance again this year through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program. Assistance in the preparation of tax returns will be available on Monday and Wednesday nights from Feb. 9 through April 8 (excluding March 16 and 18 for Spring Break). Returns for international studentsand scholars will be prepared beginning Monday, March 9.

Returns are prepared from 7 to 9 p.m. with registration in room 223 of the Curris Business Building. No appointment is necessary. Room 223 will open at 6:30 p.m. You are encouraged to arrive early to allow students sufficient time to complete your return. Only a limited number of returns will be completed each night.

VITA was established by the Internal Revenue Service to help low income people who may find it difficult to pay for tax preparation services. The program also provides accounting students an experiential learning opportunity as they work with taxpayers.

Students will be available to electronically prepare and e-file federal and Iowa tax returns for eligible taxpayers. Accounting students have completed a one-semester comprehensive tax course, have received additional training for IRS certification, and have access to a variety of federal and state reference materials.

Taxpayers seeking assistance should bring: social security cards for the taxpayer, spouse and dependents; valid photo identification; a copy of last year‘s tax returns; Form W-2, "Wage and Tax Statement," from each employer; Forms 1099, for such things as interest or dividends; a list of other income and expenses; Form 1098-T, tuition payment statement (also bring institution billing statement); Form 1098-E, student loan interest statement; banking information for automatic deposit of refund; and all other information pertinent to the 2014 tax return. New for this year, clients also will be asked about health insurance coverage for themselves and their dependents. If your insurance is from the Health Insurance Marketingplace, please bring a Form 1095-A statement